Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Live to the point .

Robin Sharma has put forth a philosophy in his latest book “live like this pencil and you’ll have a fine life” which has been lying in the storehouse called my brain. So finally today I decided I need to address this dormant thought and what better way than blogging so that my friends can help me to further decipher the true meaning of the philosophy.

Let us analyze this quote. What does a pencil signify? The first thought that comes to my mind is the power of words. A pencil however small can write words that can move the hearts of millions be it Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” or Jawaharlal Nehru’s “tryst with destiny”. So I wonder how an inanimate object like a pencil can be part of such greatness and I find the answer floating before my eyes. The pencil knows only one job-writing. It has been made for it and it continues to do so till it perishes. 

The above answer further stimulates my grey cells and I realise we have been made by God for some purpose too but the question to be asked is-are we actually living for that purpose. The answer that I get from my heart and mind is a doubtless NO. We think about so many things at the same time that we lose our focus from those goals which are the very reason of our existence. And I now start to understand the meaning of the philosophy. We have to be like a pencil with sharpened focus and live to achieve our dreams/goals, to achieve what has been destined for us else we will forever keep procrastinating and end up with a duck on our life’s scorecard. 

We need to live to the point like a pencil and be focused on our goals and in the process fulfill the reason of our existence. We need to live life in the present because who knows how many tomorrows have been destined for us by God. So let us live to the point and live our dreams today…

6 comments:

  1. reli.. gud 1.... people really need to know that one shud live by choice and not by chance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In vigorous circumstances the tip of the pencil breaks. To forgive a sin is another sin. Mistakes from pencil can be effaced by the eraser. Its so easy!!. Pencils lose focus and the sharpness dies and if you talk about the sharpner it erodes the life of the pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. piku it seems u tuk d title of the blog too literally..here i have emphasised the focus on your goals/dreams..the pencil is made for writing and drawing and it just does that...we try and do too many things and end up in a mess. if we would focus only on d main goals we would have a fine life..the pencil does perish as it keeps getting sharpened but then piku even we are to perish someday..but the pencil does its job till d end and if we aim to do that too we will definitely have finer lives .. hope u got my point now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i prefer being a marker than a pencil. and neal i have not taken it in the literal sense. The dynamics of goal orientation are much more complex than what a pencil does!
    I hope you understand that pencils are not even specialized in their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. piku most of us live as if we had all the time in the world and we postpone our dreams/aspirations. if we were to live like a pencil to the point we would have a finer life.

    ReplyDelete